|Scientific Writing and Yoga Retreat||18.10.2023 09:00 - 16:00 (Wed)||TUM Graduate School: Boltzmannstraße 17, 85748 Garching; Raum E003 und 1. OG||Dr. Demant, Dr. Minnich|
|Scientific Writing and Yoga Retreat||19.10.2023 08:15 - 16:00 (Thu)||TUM Graduate School: Boltzmannstraße 17, 85748 Garching; Raum E003 und 1. OG||Dr. Demant, Dr. Minnich|
|Scientific Writing and Yoga Retreat||20.10.2023 08:15 - 16:00 (Fri)||TUM Graduate School: Boltzmannstraße 17, 85748 Garching; Raum E003 und 1. OG||Dr. Demant, Dr. Minnich|
|Scientific Writing and Yoga Retreat||21.10.2023 08:15 - 16:00 (Sat)||TUM Graduate School: Boltzmannstraße 17, 85748 Garching; Raum E003 und 1. OG||Dr. Demant, Dr. Minnich|
When writing a paper or thesis, PhD students have to face several challenges. The text has to address the target readership, be structured logically and stringently, and be written in a precise and concise style. Moreover, the writing process has to be brought in line with professional and personal duties. The complexity of such a writing project can be overwhelming, leading to lack of motivation and enhanced procrastination - especially when writing alone, as an isolated author.
In this scientific writing and yoga retreat, Dr. Kerstin Minnich will provide material for strategies to efficiently plan scientific texts and to implement style and structural conventions adequately during the writing process. Furthermore there will be short writing impulses at the start of each writing day.
Besides theoretical input on writing topics, the participants will have plenty of opportunity to work on their own texts, make progress with their manuscripts and profit from the exchange with fellow writers.
In addition Dr. Luisa Demant offers yoga sessions and mindfulness practices to develop strategies to relax and refresh the body and mind.
Furthermore, we offer individual sessions for each participant with each trainer to discuss individual issues regarding the writing process and self-management. We will focus on methods to plan, write and revise a text and on finding individual strategies to handle feedback, to overcome procrastination and writer’s block, as well as reflecting on imposter syndrome. This unique combination of writing and yoga coaching equips participants with the right tools for a successful writing process.
- Participants are able to make significant progress on their papers and/or dissertations in a relaxed and trusting atmosphere.
- Participants get either feedback on their text or input regarding their writing strategies according to their individual needs.
- Participants have access to material which supports them in specifying their research question, planning a manuscript, getting to know their writing type and applying structure-and style conventions in scientific texts.
- Participants create a sense for the body and learn strategies to increase their physical and mental wellbeing through yoga and mindfulness.
- Participants are able to use yoga and mindfulness exercises to analyse their situation. They gain clarity for the next steps.
- Yoga and mindfulness practices enable participants to use methods to sharpen their concentration for a successful writing process.
Presentations, structured writing sessions, pomodoro writing, group yoga sessions, partner work, 1-2-1 coaching sessions
During the doctorate │ at the end of the doctorate
Participants need to bring a chapter of their doctoral thesis or paper they want to work on during the course. For the yoga sessions they will need a mat and comfortable clothes. No previous yoga experience needed.
Participants need to bring a laptop or tablet.
Participants need to bring a chapter of their dissertation or paper they want to work on during the course.
- I enjoyed switching between physical practice and intellectual work. Even though all participants worked on their own projects, it felt like we worked together. The atmosphere in class was great, and I also enjoyed the individual coaching sessions, where we could discuss our projects and needs.
- It was a great spirit and helped me a lot to proceed with my PhD
- Luisa and Kerstin created a warm and motivating atmosphere, I liked the feeling of community and working together.
- The mixture of yoga and writing input, that it was an intensive writing class focusing on working, the lovely, trustful and focused atmosphere which the two great coaches created.
Dr. Luisa Demant lives and works as facilitator for yoga, embodiment and professional development in Hackney, London. She works with individuals as well as groups and offers yoga classes, group workshops and individual coaching sessions. She works in co-operation with the National Health Service (NHS) as well as Queen Mary University.
Dr. Kerstin Minnich is a biologist who obtained her PhD at the Ulm University Medical Center followed by a postdoctoral research period at the Leibniz Institute on Aging in Jenai n the fields of endocrinology and oncology. In 2016, she founded the editing service LIFE SCIENCE WRITING and completed a writing consultant training in 2017 at the University of Education Freiburg. Besides editing scientific texts, she is working as an individual writing coach and giving workshops on scientific writing.