|Scientific Paper Writing Basics||16.11.2023 09:00 - 17:00 (Thu)||TUM Graduate School: Boltzmannstraße 17, 85748 Garching bei München Raum 101||Dr. Aniko Balazs|
|Scientific Paper Writing Basics||17.11.2023 09:00 - 17:00 (Fri)||TUM Graduate School: Boltzmannstraße 17, 85748 Garching bei München Raum 101||Dr. Aniko Balazs|
This workshop gives young scientists a systematic introduction into the standards of scientific paper writing in English and offers them a toolkit to master the process of writing. Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the importance of aspects beyond the scientific validity of their contents
- Reflect on their own writing habits to increase their writing productivity
- Analyse and evaluate scientific publications critically
- Use diverse methods and tools to organise and prepare their scientific papers for publication
- Apply the revision skills necessary for the accomplishment of a writing project according to the stylistic conventions of scientific writing
- Making participants aware of the norms and conventions of scientific paper writing.
- Considering the role of psychological factors in written communication.
- Learning and applying methods of self-organisation during the writing process.
- Emphasizing the importance of reader-oriented writing.
- Envisioning the main steps of the publication process.
Trainer input to lay the theoretical groundwork for paper writing; plenum discussions to set up the scaffolding for confident writing; group work alternating with peer review; self-audit of participants; one-on-one consultation with the trainer.
During the doctorate | at the end of the doctorate
Active participation in all phases of the course from preparation to follow-up.
Prior to the course, participants will be contacted by the trainer to answer preparatory questions, do some lead-in reading, and send a writing sample for diagnostic purposes.
- I really liked the feedback on the writings and that we got a lot of information and hints about scientific writing.
- The trainer provided a good working and learning atmosphere.
- The course had a good structure and interactive work.
- The suggestions were very practical.
- The preparation tasks before starting really helped me during the course.
- I liked the high competence of the dozent, she was amazing and had a friendly tone.
Dr. phil. Aniko Balazs is an independent writing consultant with extensive experience in facilitating academic writing and communication. Her professional background has predisposed her to building bridges between cultures and languages, as well as between representatives of different disciplines. She had studied language pedagogy and earned her doctorate in comparative sociolinguistics. For over twenty years, she has worked as a translator and interpreter in different fields of medicine and information technology. Since the establishment of the TUM Graduate School in 2009, she has been teaching generations of doctoral candidates in in-house writing courses and kick-off seminars. As a freelance trainer, she runs workshops and courses on scientific and technical writing for universities, research centres, graduate schools and industry partners. Moreover, she offers personal editing consultations and help as a writing coach.